Sam’s Club opened its newest membership store on Thursday, September 13, 2007 in Fayetteville, Arkansas complete with the latest "green" technology its parent company, Wal-Mart Stores Inc., has to offer.
The Fayetteville Sam’s Club showcases numerous environmentally sustainable features designed by the Sam’s Club operations team including:
• Energy efficient light-emitting diode (LED) lighting in the freezer cases that generate minimal heat and use 50 percent less electricity than traditional fluorescent fixtures
• Motion-sensor lighting on freezers and coolers to conserve energy when no one is present
• More than 200 skylights and an improved daylight harvesting/ skylight system that reduces consumption even more than in previous installations
• Closed loop CO2 secondary refrigeration system in the freezer cases and a closed loop secondary glycol system in the chilled food/beverage areas that significantly reduce conventional refrigerant charge and greenhouse gas impact and uses fewer materials such as copper piping
• On-site water treatments such as:
- bio-swale that removes sediment from water before it enters the storm water sewer system,
- storm sewer inlet that allows for debris to fall out before entering the storm water treatment inlet which removes oil and pollutants remaining in the storm water prior to entering the retention pond located in the back of the club.
- above ground two tank system to harvest rainwater from the roof of the building to irrigate landscaping via a drip irrigation system and to provide water needed by the cooling tower serving the refrigeration system, and
- on-site car wash that can reclaim approximately 60 percent of the water used. (Car washes actually use less water than washing vehicles at home.)
• Rainwater harvesting from portion of rooftop to supplement landscape irrigation and club cooling system
• Recycling services for tires, batteries, cardboard, single-use cameras, food waste, plastic waste and building materials
Additional new features at the Fayetteville Sam’s Club include:
• A trailhead map identifying the club’s various sustainability features and locations both inside the club and throughout the grounds
• A member’s-only gas station and car wash
• A Sam’s Club liquor store, which is open to the general public
• A pharmacy, optical center, one-hour photo, expanded café and a tire and battery center
• A stone and brick façade featuring the new Sam’s Club logo
Sam’s Club also offers its members a variety of services including health insurance, merchant credit card processing solutions and Web site development. Business members can take advantage of Gold Key hours, which are weekdays from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m., as well as services such as Fax-n-Pull and Click-n-Pull. Both Business and Advantage members can save even more on club services and purchases with a Plus Membership, earning up to two percent cash back by using a Sam’s Club Discover card.